Friday, September 14, 2007

Las Vegas - Diamond Inn Motel






If I was planning a trip to Las Vegas, I would give consideration to staying at The Diamond Inn Motel. Now, I don't know anything about the The Dimond Inn, so I am not in a position to recommend it or not. But I would have to consider it.


[For those who are not familiar with the place...it is located on The Strip, across the street from Mandalay Bay, but a little bit closer to the famous Welcome sign, than Mandalay Bay.]


Here is what I am thinking.


The motels, and other small places are disappearing. The property of The Diamond Inn always seems very clean on the outside, and I do not see riff raff there. It strikes me as a holdover; and who knows how much longer it has?


Certainly the opportunity to stay at Mandalay Bay will outlast the opportunity to stay at The Diamond Inn.


Some of you might not even view staying at such a motel as an opportunity. And I understand. But in a way, staying there would be almost an opportunity to travel back in time in Las Vegas. Probably, soon enough, you will not be able to stay at a motel on The Strip, and then you really will need to travel back in time for the simple experience.


The simple experience of being able to drive your car right up to your room, and park it in front. Five seconds from closing your driver side door, to being inside your room.


The experience of being able to walk to the major places on the south strip, (Luxor, Mandalay, etc), or walk to the convenience store up the block for beverages, and then retreat to your quieter, more personal room.


The experience of having the wind air out your room, when you open the door.


The great experience of waking up in the morning, getting ready, and then walking right out into the sunlight; on Las Vegas Boulevard no less.


The motel experience is a special one. At least it can be, if the place is good.


I certainly do understand that staying at a fantastic hotel is also an incredible experience. I am not placing one over the other.


A lot of people who come to Las Vegas for more than a few days, make plans to stay at several hotels during that time, so that they can try them out. That can be a good idea, if implemented well.


The idea of staying at this motel on the south end of The Strip is invisible. When one thinks of coming to Vegas, the list that is played with contains major places.


I have read a review online which suggests that the Diamond Inn has typical inexpensive motel problems. Flimsy doors, simple television, clean linen but junky room.


If I had ten days in Las Vegas, I would consider spending the first two at The Diamond Inn. If the place isn't good, then hopefully the major hotels on the following eight days would revive me.


This is just a thought I am playing with, (and nobody at The Diamond Inn paid me to plug them). I am nostalgic, and it seems to me that in spite of the likely deficiencies, there might be enough unique nostalgia in the experience of staying at this motel.


As you can see, the others, including The Glass Pool Inn have already disappeared. Only their signs remain.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dare say the Diamond Inn pool actually looks nice. Love that elephant. But since I always room with someone, and have never gotten anyone to even agree to stay at El Cortez, I doubt they would go for it. I need to find new friends.

SRW said...

Before you get new friends, send the old ones to this blog and see if they can thus be persuaded to smarten up.

If they can't, then you can go friend shopping with a clear conscience.

After The Diamond Inn closes, the idea will seem much greater to everyone.

Imagine how fantastic it would be, to be able to stay at The Glass Pool Inn, now. (The very same place where a pool scene from Leaving Las Vegas was filmed).

Too bad it is just a sign that remains.

Diamond Inns are not forever. :)